Monday, November 20, 2017

Arabesque Bag

I have been wanting to make an Arabesque Bag (from Sew Sweetness) for a long time and finally got around to making this one about a month ago. I prefer to use scraps of fabric (rather than trim like is mentioned in the pattern) and I thought the vertical strips looked better than horizontal strips. With horizontal strips there is too much matching to do at the sides as well as making sure that your horizontal strips stay perfectly horizontal and not slowly veer off into becoming a diagonal, lol! I was very happy how this bag came out with the vertical strips and I like the one horizontal line that goes across the top of the bag to cover up the strap bottoms too. To me and my eye this is a much more balanced looking bag aesthetically. (I sold this bag in mid-November at a small craft show).

This is a free pattern (free is always nice) and the directions are excellent, as Sara's directions always are! I will be making more of these bags because I really enjoyed making this one and love how it looks too. You could of course use one fabric instead of trim or scraps, but it's a great way to use up scraps of fabric to create something beautiful! Thanks for the pattern Sara!

Vertical strips with wavy horizontal quilting.


Side view to show the depth of the bag at the bottom.

The back of the bag looks about the same, only I used a few different fabric strips.

I added a zippered pocket inside to turn the bag.

A slip pocket in the opposite side of the lining with a pen pocket sewn at the side of the pocket.


After making this bag, I decided to reduce the pattern and make another one in a smaller version. I will be posting the smaller one too. Oh yes and I sold the smaller one at the same show, yay! Love the smaller size as well. Definitely will be making more of these bags in both sizes.


Linking to Elm Street Quilts Bag It 2017
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice bag . . . inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used scraps to make it, when I see long thin scraps I forget that you can use them for other things besides quilts. it looks great and I too love the depth of, lots of room for storing items. a smaller size sounds good as well. I LOVE FREE PATTERNS, thanks to all that offer them.
    tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag turned out great - what a fun inner pocket. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is lovely - and I just pulled out another bag of scraps gifted to me by a friend (how lucky am I that I love scraps, and she hates them and won't use them, LOL) and most of it was strips - there should be enough for this bag :) I'll be watching for Arabesque Junior as well ... I think there might be enough scraps for 2 bags ... with judicious cutting :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...